Monday, June 5, 2017

Overheard

 This past Thursday night, I was awoken by a thin, frail voice.

“Ike? Ike, are you there?”, the barely recognizable voice asked. I sat up, realizing it was Mimi.

“Huh?What? Mimi, is that you?” came a sleepy, yet alarmed reply.

“Yeah, it's me, little buddy.” she replied.

“What's wrong? Are you okay? Should I wake up the people?”

“No, don't wake the man up any more tonight. He has been down here with me twice already.
Let him get some rest. I am not doing so well. You know I have been trying to hold on, don't you?”

“I sure do! You've been one tough little dog, Mimi.”

“Thanks, but the man helping me so much has really helped too. But, it's just that...”

“Just what, Meems?”

With a heavy sigh, I heard her reply.
“It's just, well, I need to be here for the two of them, you know? I feel like I can't let go, but I am so tired, Ike. So, so tired.”

“Wha—what are you saying?” I heard Ike reply, with a catch in his voice.

“I don't think I can hang on much longer, Ike. I hurt all over; I don't want to eat, or even drink.”

“And, he has been helping you...”

“I know. I try to eat and drink so he doesn't feel badly. I know they are trying so hard. But...” her voice trailed off.

“What can I do, Mimi?”

“Be a good dog, Ike. Protect the lady with all you have, if needed. Listen to the man- he loves you Ike- but you have to listen to him.”

“I will try. I promise, I will try.” he said with a sob.

“I know you will, Ike. It's time for you to become the grown-up dog now. You can't rely upon me to be the mature one.” she told him.

A silence came upon the house, then....

“Mimi? How long---you know---?”

“Time? A day, maybe less. I am getting very, very weak, Ike.”

“What next?” he asked, between sobs.

“I heard I have a spot in the woods behind Gus the Grand-dog’s home. It is under tall trees that provide shade in the Summer, and block the harsh winds of Winter. There will be a canopy of beautiful leaves overhead in the Fall, and a blanket of lovely wildflowers in the Spring. A stream flows near by, too. It is a very, very nice spot. I will be fine, Ike.”

“You will?”

“Yes, I will be with my mother Daisy, and my sisters Violet and Lilly as well as my other litter-mates. Don't worry, pal. I will even get to meet Tinkerbell, the first Bulldog!”

“So, we probably won't talk ever again?”

“Not in this world, little Buddy. Remember all I taught you, Ike.”

“I will, I promise.”

“And, Ike? I love you.”

“I love you too Mimi.”

Silence enveloped the home.


In Memory of

Miacha aka Mimi

August 23, 2003

June 2, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment