Monday, September 2, 2013

Happy Birthday!!

Let me say Happy Birthday to all who share this day with me! Yay!
And, yes the year in which I was born, September 2 was indeed Labor Day. I have had to endure the silly jokes for years, about making my mother labor.
As you may recall, following my recent little episode in Doctor Land, I am frankly quite happy and grateful to be having a birthday.
It was not always this way with me. For most of my life, I have not fully embraced recognizing the event of my birth. We would have the get togethers, I would be happy for friends and family around me. Still, I had a rather ambivalent attitude toward the day.  I realize this would make rich fodder for psychologists and counselors; but, it is the way I felt.
Until this year; the year of perspective if you will.
I cannot say I had a Damascus Road spiritual awakening. I have been a follower of Christ for many, many years. I cannot say I saw a blinding light, nor did I hear a thunderous voice.
When I was told I had a significant blood clot in my leg that set me back a bit. I knew it was only by the Grace of a Loving God I was still alive. I knew that is was only by His mercy this clot had not decided to take a tour of my circulatory system, and ending up in my lung, heart or (yes believe it or not), my brain.
Further, I realized just how good He has been to me. This past Friday I had my post operation follow up and ultra-sound test.  My circulation is 100% restored. The technician said that alone is pretty rare; most people come back at 85 to 90, maybe 95%. 
 I know that our lives are not our own. Rather, they are a gift from God. It is up to us what we do with it.
Therefore I rejoice I am able to be with my Lovely Bride, my children, grandchildren, and very, very good friends. I rejoice even as our furry fountain of youth insists upon untying my shoes as I write this. I rejoice even as I helped my Lovely Bride tend our church’s flower beds.
Grab the day.  Be glad in it! For you will never have these 24 hours again.
And, if we share this birthday… be doubly joyful, for the world would not be what it is without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment